Make a meaningful impact as a Banquets Sous Chef at Maialino!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Sous Chef will translate and execute the culinary vision of the Executive Chef, along with the Chef de Cuisine, by participating in the direction of all aspects of the kitchen activities. This includes organizing, planning and leading the back of the house team to achieve a balance of enlightened hospitality and uncommon excellence. The Sous Chef will actively teach and inspire the Maialino Banquets team to embrace the core values and the mission of the Union Square Hospitality Group.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
Team – Continuously build a high-performance team with the right people in the right positions.
- Ensure that all kitchen employees are completely trained and knowledgeable in all aspects of the service, according to Maialino kitchen service, culinary & hospitality standards.
Hospitality – Grow a culture of Enlightened Hospitality for all stakeholders
- Ensure that the culture of Maialino reflects the “5 Tenets of Hospitality” as stated in the USHG guidelines
Excellence – Achieve uncommon excellence of product, system, service and standards
- Ensure the uncommon excellence of every food item offered on the Gramercy Terrace.
Profitability – Continuously grow the financial success of the business
- Establish and maintain clear working relationship with accounting department to develop awareness of budget/payroll/sales needs particular to position’s area of focus.
Compliance – Ensure rigorous knowledge of and adherence to all applicable laws policies and procedures. (both company-wide and business specific)
- Work with Chef de Cuisine to establish appropriate staffing for each individual service according to need, while effectively managing payroll
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than in expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- TIPS Certification
- CPR/1st Aid Certified
- NYC Food Handler’s Certificate
- Be fully aware of, and conform to, Department of Health requirements to run an A-level kitchen, and basic food safety.
- Advanced experience in kitchen management.
- Advanced experience in cooking techniques.
- Basic knowledge of machinery and maintenance.
- Excellent knife skills