Marketo provides the leading engagement marketing software and solutions designed to help marketers develop long-term relationships with their customers – from acquisition to advocacy. Marketo is built for marketers, by marketers and is setting the innovation agenda for marketing technology. Marketo puts Marketing First. Headquartered in San Mateo, CA, with offices around the world, Marketo serves as a strategic partner to large enterprise and fast-growing small companies across a wide variety of industries. To learn more about Marketo’s Engagement Marketing Platform, LaunchPoint® partner ecosystem, and the vast community that is the Marketo Marketing Nation®, visit www.marketo.com.
Marketo is seeking a Privacy Counsel to join the Legal Department as a member of the privacy team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-branded, highly successful organization with a world-class legal department. The position will have a broad range of responsibilities and will help shape our privacy program and ensure the protection of our customers’ data and regulatory compliance. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated team player with the ability to learn quickly, proactively manage multiple projects and get things done. This role will report to the Senior Director, Privacy and Product.
- Draft and negotiate privacy and data protection terms for revenue, vendor, and business partner agreements, as well as HIPAA business associate agreements and cross-border data transfer agreements
- Partner closely with and advise our security, product and other business teams on privacy and data protection-related legal matters
- Evaluate the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry guidelines involving privacy and security
- Participate in cross-functional company projects related to data protection and privacy by design and default
- Work on Marketo’s EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance initiative.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar
- 3+ years of relevant experience, at a law firm or in-house
- Experience with or knowledge of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations and standards
- Skilled in navigating complex, sensitive and nuanced issues in a logical and practical manner
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- A good sense of humor with an inquisitive mindset and passionate about your work
- Experience working with or interest in employment law;
- Experience working at a consumer technology company, particularly Software-as-a-Service, or with technology clients;
- Experience working with international customers and partners
- A Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certification
Marketo is an equal opportunity employer.