Make a meaningful impact as a Baker at Union Square Cafe!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Baker is responsible for the daily preparation, production and finishing of all baked items for breakfast/brunch service. The Baker may be asked to work in a variety of techniques including, but not limited to mixing and laminating of doughs, cereals, batters and use of a sheeter. The Baker typically has several duties that revolve around helping the kitchen stay clean and maintaining the high standards of the operation. The Baker may be also be required to help prep items for lunch or dinner service.
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Follow all recipes, and presentation specifics as set forth by Executive Pastry Chef, Pastry Sous Chef or Pastry Supervisor
- Effectively prepare all required dishes in a timely manner for specific service period.
- Lamination of doughs
- Croissant Shaping and proper proofing/baking of products
- Ensure consistency with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules.
- Effectively communicate errors/ inconsistencies etc. to teammates and expedite and correct the problem immediately
Prep and Kitchen Organization
- Follow all opening/closing kitchen procedures
- Set up station according to Chef/Kitchen guidelines
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at Pastry stations
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed
Safety and Maintenance
- Prepare all food according to Food Handlers Guidelines
- Handle, store, and rotate all products according to proper FIFO procedures
- Understand and adhere DOL and DOH safety and sanitation standards when cleaning and maintaining the kitchen
- Properly use and maintain all kitchen equipment
- Maintain a clean and stocked workplace, kitchen area, storage area and walk-in
- Track and report any food waste
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
- Previous prep or line-cook experience
- Knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Understand & follow written and verbal instruction & direction
- Attention to detail and ability to smell & taste
- Manages self calmly and effectively under pressure
- The ability to regularly reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Repetitive hand or arm motions.
- Lifting and/or moving up to 20 lbs regularly; occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 50 lbs.
- Standing or walking for up to 12 hours at a time