Make an impact as a Culinary Extern at Union Sqaure Cafe!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Union Square Cafe and Daily Provisions welcome a select group of ambitious Culinary Externs to add their unique background to our restaurant story. We teach our externs to build upon the skills they've already acquired from culinary school and prior work experiences. Each day our externs are actively involved with chefs who are focused and creative teachers. We have developed a strong community that is a clear extension of the Union Square Cafe lineage. Our goal is to prepare students to join the best kitchens in the world.
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
Receive/label/store market deliveries
Hone basic knife skills
Kitchen Cleaning / Sanitation
Assist cooks in preparing components for their stations
Learn to set-up a station independently
A rotation in the Daily Provisions kitchen
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Food Safety Knowledge
- General Knife Handling
- Kitchen Cleaning / Sanitation
- Vegetable and Protein Breakdown
- Vegetable Cookery
- Able to stand for longer than 8 hours (must)
- Able to move or lift 50 pounds on an intermittent basis and 35 pounds regularly (must)
- Able to bend, stoop, lift, reach, push, pull, twist, climb stairs, walk, crouch, and squat (must)