Make a meaningful impact as a Sous Chef at Union Square Events!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Sous Chef for Union Square Events is responsible for daily production and execution of our banquet and culinary operations. This role will support the Executive Chef to adapt and create inspired seasonally appropriate menus that are creative, evolving, well balanced for the season, while maintaining accurate food and labor costs based on a forecast budget, ensuring best business practices. The Sous Chef will also oversee the onsite hourly culinary employees to ensure they are executing the standards established by the Executive Chef and USE. The Sous Chef will assist with cater expert, ordering, inventory and payroll. This position will create experiences that exceed the guests’ expectations and provide strong leadership while maintaining the core principles of Union Square Events’ culture of Enlightened Hospitality.
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Ensure daily execution of food production meeting and exceeding company standards of quality
- Liaise with the USE Culinary team to ensure excellence in food production and execution
- Increase the accuracy, quality and continuity of our day-to-day operations by creating and maintaining essential operating systems
- Foster positive inter-departmental communication
- Ensure rigorous knowledge of and adherence to all applicable laws, policies and procedures
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Proficient in POS System (Micros)
- Strong Computer Skills ( Microsoft Office, Delphi, CaterXpert preferred)
- English and Spanish (preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in off-site catering, pop-up restaurants, large-scale special events, small intimate gatherings, and fine dining restaurants.
- Excellent working knowledge of many styles of cuisine and types of events
- TIPS Certification (preferred)
- CPR/1st Aid Certified (preferred)
- NYC Food Handler’s Certificate