Cognition Financial develops custom underwriting and scoring models for unsecured consumer loans including private student loans. As part of an interdisciplinary team of technologists, analysts, statisticians, and modelers, the Credit Risk Analyst will be primarily responsible for building and maintaining the predictive models that characterize our data-driven decisioning processes. Cognition Financial’s 20+ years of student loan performance data will enable the Credit Risk Analyst to use the full range of modern analytics techniques such as Random Forests, Gradient Boosting, or Neural Networks, supported by an automated Machine Learning platform.
The Credit Risk Analyst will be involved in the full life-cycle of our loan portfolios, providing models and insight to support the design and underwriting of new loan products as well as optimizing the performance of our loan portfolios via bad rate models and other predictive approaches. The Credit Risk Analyst will also review our existing models and make recommendations for improvements.
The ideal candidate for this position should have at least 2 years of hands-on experience in the consumer banking industry and be familiar with the regulatory environment that governs credit risk underwriting. This role rewards creative multi-disciplinary thinking and willingness for life-long learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Build and maintain complex underwriting models for private student loan and other unsecured consumer loan products, from scoping requirements, data preparation and cleansing, variable reduction, to parameter estimation and model performance assessment
• Assist in implementing underwriting and performance models into in-house and third-party decisioning engines
• Develop supporting processes for cash flow modeling, performance monitoring, and loss tracking
• Present reports regarding credit loss estimates and impact of credit policy and business development on credit profiles to Credit Risk Committee
• Work with other analysts and data engineers on quality assurance of source data and systems, analyses, and reporting
• Evaluate alternative data sources for use in predictive models
• Create and maintain documentation of credit risk models for dissemination by our internal and external partners as well as regulators
• Collaborate with other departments on developing predictive models across the complete value chain of unsecured lending products (marketing, operations, collections)
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned to support operational and analytical needs in the areas of Credit Risk, Portfolio Management, and Finance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. Cognition Financial Corporation does not discriminate against an applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or handicap, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.