Make an impact as a Vice President of Human Resources at USHG!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
A critical leader of Union Square Hospitality Group, LLC, this position must lead, inspire and embody our Family Values and our philosophy of Enlightened Hospitality in all interactions with our people, guests, vendors and the community.
This position is specifically tasked with overseeing employee relations matters, conducting workplace investigations and developing and overseeing control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies, evaluating the efficiency of controls, improving them continuously and revising procedures periodically to identify hidden risks or non-conformity issues.
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Annual bonus incentive
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends, best practices, and employment legislation and ensures USHG’s compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Maintains responsibility for USHG’s compliance with policies and procedures regarding personnel transactions such as new hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Ensures that Company policies and procedures consistently followed by our leaders by developing individual business SOP’s and ensuring that leaders and managers are fully trained.
- Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations and ensure that all separations follow established USHG SOPs.
- Conducts annual Human Resources audit aimed to report on compliance by individual businesses with existing policies, identification of nonconformity with laws and internal policies and recommendations for enhancements.
- Develops and issues Human Resources audit scorecards to individual businesses.
- Consults with USHG’s Legal Department as appropriate on compliance with employment laws.
- Oversees daily employee relations issues, including the timely response to internal employee complaints presented through various avenues (i.e., anonymous hotline, email, and direct employee calls/complaints).
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters, including resolving employee conflicts and advising on the Coaching and Progressive Discipline process.
- Guides the investigation of highly sensitive workplace issues in a neutral, thoughtful and objective manner.
- Recommends, evaluates and participates in USHG’s staff development.
- Consults with USHG’s Legal Department as appropriate on personnel transactions.
- Designs and implements SOPs for all HR systems, including, but not limited to, new employee onboarding, personnel file maintenance and compliance, E-verify compliance, time and attendance policies and procedures, progressive discipline and business audit scorecards.
- Annually reviews and makes recommendations to executive management for improvement of USHG’s SOPs, policies (including the USHG Employee Handbook and local business manuals), procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Assists executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of USHG's wage and salary program.
- Anticipates and responds to business needs, such as employee scheduling, time and attendance and employee relationship management.
- Participates on committees and special projects and seeks additional responsibilities.
Benefits, Payroll and HRIS oversight:
- Oversees the HRIS Manager in the development and maintenance of a human resource information system that strategically meets USHG's personnel information needs, including the development of employee statistics, such as turnover, retention, tenure and diversity.
- Oversees the HRIS and Benefits Manager in the administration of USHG’s benefits (including benefits such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, 401(k) plan, workers compensation insurance, short term disability insurance and unemployment benefits) and leave management and claims (FMLA, state leave laws, Paid Time Off, Workers compensation and Short-Term Disability).
- Oversees the Senior Payroll Manager in designing and maintaining payroll systems and records.
- Liaison to Ultimate Software; make recommendations for full utilization of Ultipro/UTA and better leverage programs while also reducing redundancies.
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or other related field from an accredited university is required.
- Professional of Human Resources or SHRM Certification preferred.
- Twelve (12)+ years’ experience in strategic Human Resource leadership experience with recent experience supporting large, complex organizations.
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state employment laws.
- Must be results-oriented and demonstrate strategic thinking, innovation, flexibility in dealing with changing and ambiguous situations.
- Demonstrated success working in a highly collaborative environment, with a track record of accomplishment with measurable business impact.
- Excellent project management skills including successful leadership of projects from planning phase through completion.
- Excellent leadership skills including superb communication, delivery of results, consultative skills, partnership skills and team building.