Make a difference as a Maitre D' at Marta!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Marta, located at The Redbury New York hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park, is a lively Italian restaurant from Chef Lena Ciardullo. Inspired by the rustic tradition of Roman pizzerie, local haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas, Marta features an energetic open kitchen with two wood-burning ovens and an open-fire grill taking center stage. The kitchen creates fresh takes on classic pizza standbys as well as original inventions showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. The wine list hangs its hat on Champagne and a deep focus on Italian wine, along with exciting beer and a lively cocktail menu. Marta exudes warmth and communal energy and serves as a central gathering place for its community.
Our Maitre d's are the leaders of our front door teams, who provide engaging and warm greetings to our guests as we welcome them to our restaurant. We are searching for a dynamic individual who possesses not only a friendly personality but can think on their feet, be able to improvise, be calm under pressure and can empathize with guests.
Our goal is to build a team of hospitality professionals who enjoy creating exceptional guest experiences in a team-based service environment. This role reviews and takes reservations, strategizes with the management team on coordinating seating, assigns tables, and seats every guest in a strategic manner while informing guests about our dining options and who we are. Demonstrating hospitality at all times is a necessity. This position actively embodies, inspires, & elevates USHG’s Family Values of Hospitality, Excellence, Entrepreneurial Spirit and Integrity.
Marta is a quick, exciting restaurant with many opportunities to learn and grow. Professionals in this role will need to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the floor plane, general food and beverage offerings, and operational information. Successful candidates require excellent communication skills and a pleasant, friendly attitude toward their colleagues and guests. Ideal applicants are professional with a sense of humor and a strong passion for hospitality.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Maintain a mastery of the proper table numbers, seat positions, and flow of service
- Maintain mental athleticism for coordination with Hosts, Server, and Managers to seat guests in a warm hospitable manner, while also anticipating the needs of the restaurant, in order to provide an excellent dining experience
- Strong communication and listening skills to effectively deliver accurate messaging to both guests and teammates
- Have a desire to build a base knowledge and understanding of classic cookery, wine, beer, and cocktails
- Maintain accurate knowledge on hours of operation, relevant service and facility information, and upcoming events at the restaurant
- Have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards
- Derives pleasure from providing hospitality and being the face of the restaurant
Experience working with Resy is preferred. Candidates must have a flexible schedule. Marta is open for lunch and dinner service, 7 days a week.