We are seeking an exceptional User Experience Research manager to join our growing world-wide UX team to create innovative solutions for SumTotal’s HCM products.
About the Role
The User Experience Research Manager will work with a cross-functional team of UX designers, product managers and engineers as you plan, coordinate and execute user research across a range of programs and projects. The User Experience Research Manager will both design studies and execute effective UX research. In addition, you will hire and manage a team of contractors and fulltime research staff.
Candidates should have expert knowledge of user-centered design principles and qualitative research skills, including ethnographic field research and task-based usability tests, both in-person and remote. The ability to communicate and translate research findings into concrete next steps for the product is critical. The ideal candidate should possess exemplary facilitation skills, critical thinking and qualitative analysis/synthesis skills.
- Manage a team of contractors and fulltime research staff and work closely with senior management, designers, product managers and of course end users.
- Oversee and monitor Jr/Sr staff and be responsible for all milestones delivered for your team.
- Provide thought leadership and promote a unifying vision for the user experience
- Contribute to, optimize and manage user experience research methods, incorporating industry standard best practices
- Oversee and execute breakthrough user research using qualitative and quantitative methods, including field research methods, usability and concept testing, surveys, 1:1 interviews, and secondary research
- Lead the translation of research findings into actionable insights, opportunities, and solutions; clearly communicate the insights and accompanying recommendations to product and design teams
- Work closely and collaboratively with interaction designers, product managers and engineers to ensure an optimal user experience
- Stay abreast of new and innovative research tools, continuously focusing on ways to obtain user feedback more efficiently
- Have a strong understanding of analytics and key performance indicators
- Be an advocate and evangelist for user experience across the organization
- Advocate for the end user in design and development, while working with product managers, designers, and Agile developers.
- 8+ years or work experience as a member of a user-experience research team in a technology-centered company.
- Prior management or mentor experience preferred
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and web standards.
- Extensive experience in the planning and moderating of testing strategies, field research (contextual inquiry), card sorting techniques and heuristic reviews.
- Relevant work samples demonstrating proficiency in a variety of research methods.
- Ability and willingness to manage and mentor other less-experienced team members.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment with iterative design and research cycles in conjunction with Agile development.
- Independent self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Degree in Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, or equivalent discipline (or ability to document equivalent academic plus professional experience).
- Broad knowledge/understanding/experience with accessibility guidelines.