Make an impact as a Pastry Cook at Maialino!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Pastry Team at Maialino is a large part of the Culinary Team employing 13 full-time cooks, up to 2 interns and 2 sous chefs. There are 4 shifts within our team in order to accommodate the large variety of items prepared for the restaurant, a retail and online program, as well as the Gramercy Park Hotel.
Our pastry kitchen is structured for learning and growth. All of the shifts offer different skills and challenges. This well rounded path pushes the team to learn a wide variety of techniques from laminating dough to making gelato. We uphold high standards of excellence and consistency. It is paramount that we always put the best of the best in front of our guests.
All of our products are made in house, using quality ingredients and sound pastry techniques. We like to say that dessert should be a “warm hug” at the end of your dining experience. That is what we strive to do, create the most delicious desserts that make you feel great.
When you join the team at Maialino you are really becoming part of a new family. It is our top priority that everyone is happy, healthy and loves to come and do their job. The work isn’t easy or glorious. It can be hot and hectic, but the result is definitely sweet!
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Ability to demonstrate classic cooking techniques
- At least one year of professional kitchen experience
- Sense of urgency and comfort in a fast-paced environment
- An understanding of Department of Health food safety standards
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- At least 1 year Restaurant/Bakery/Kitchen experience as a Pastry Cook or relevant position
- Culinary Degree or Certification
- Advanced knife skills and ingredient knowledge
- Ability to multitask
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.