Senior User Experience Researcher
About the Job
We are seeking an exceptional User Experience Researcher to join our growing world-wide UX team to create innovative solutions for SumTotal’s HCM products.
About the Role
The Senior User Experience Researcher will work with a cross-functional team of UX designers, product managers and engineers as you plan, coordinate and execute user research across a range of programs and projects. The User Experience Researcher will both design studies and execute effective UX research.
Candidates should have deep knowledge of user-centered design principles and qualitative research skills, including ethnographic interviews and task-based usability tests, both in-person and remote. The ability to communicate and translate research findings into concrete next steps for the product is critical. The ideal candidate should possess exemplary facilitation skills, critical thinking and qualitative analysis/synthesis skills.
- Support and collaborate with UX designers, product managers and engineers in developing and executing user research to ensure an optimal user experience.
- Participate in recruitment activities for user research participants including: developing criteria, creating screeners, connecting with potential participants, tracking status, preparing materials, and arranging for incentives.
- Plan and conduct user research using qualitative and quantitative methods for both in-person and remote studies; including usability and concept testing, heuristic reviews, card sorting, surveys, 1:1 interviews, persona development, contextual inquiry and secondary research.
- Synthesize, communicate, and present research findings, insights, and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Produce clear, concise and compelling research documents including research plans, screeners, moderator guides and results/report documentation.
- Clearly articulate the rationale behind research conclusions and recommendations.
- Influence product managers and software development managers to use research findings and other sources to develop, refine, and prioritize product requirements.
- Advocate for the end user in design and development, while working with product managers, designers, and Agile developers.
- Know how and when to leverage research and testing to inform design decisions. Collaborate on mockups, wire frames, and clickable prototypes for rapid, iterative testing and design improvement. Continue testing during development.
- 5+ years or work experience as a member of a user-experience research team in a technology-centered company.
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and web standards.
- Extensive experience in the planning and moderating of testing strategies, field research (contextual inquiry), card sorting techniques and heuristic reviews.
- Experience conducting UX research for mobile devices a plus.
- Relevant work samples demonstrating proficiency in a variety of research methods.
- Ability and willingness to mentor other less-experienced team members.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment with iterative design and research cycles in conjunction with Agile development.
- Independent self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Degree in Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, or equivalent discipline (or ability to document equivalent academic plus professional experience).
- Broad knowledge/understanding/experience with accessibility guidelines.