Make a meaningful impact as a Server at Union Square Cafe!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Union Square Cafe is seeking a Server to be an ambassador for our mission: To be the place in New York City where “Going out, feels like coming home”. A Server at Union Square Cafe will excel at applying empathy to every guest they care for so they may create and maintain our guest’s loyalty, while ranking their teammate’s needs even higher. A Union Square Cafe server will be an expert at prioritizing in order to produce efficiency in this fast-paced, multi-faceted, neighborhood cafe. This position actively embodies, inspires, & elevates USHG’s Family Values of Hospitality, Excellence, Entrepreneurial Spirit and Integrity.
Service periods will include Lunch, Brunch, and Dinner.
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Maintain an understanding of the proper steps of service required of all FOH service positions
- Maintain mental athleticism for coordination with table pacing, and section maintenance in conjunction with support personnel
- Strong communication and listening skills to effectively deliver accurate messaging to both guests and teammates
- Have a base knowledge and understanding of classic cookery, wine, beer, and cocktails
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Menu and beverage knowledge is comprehensive and kept current as menus evolve
- Have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards
- Derives pleasure from providing hospitality
- Excellent Emotional Self Awareness under pressure while maintaining a graceful, warm presence
- Curious Intelligence to continue learning in the position
- Open availability and a career mentality
- Experience with opening a full service restaurant
- 1-2 years New York City fine dining experience in a front server position
- A Culinary and/or Beverage certificate/degree
Union Square Cafe will proudly operate under Hospitality Included, USHG’s non-tipping pay structure and career progression model. Hospitality Included acts to close the wage disparity between the BOH and FOH, while keeping the FOH whole. Hospitality Included provides a career progression model that activates growth levels within each position, for our team members to advance both financially and professionally.