About the Role:
The Principal UX Design Engineer will be the lead for a Business automation team developing infrastructure, application and business automation software as part of a digital transformation effort for a SaaS cloud hosting organization. This Engineer should be a highly motivated, customer obsessed Software Development Engineer who specializes in creating engaging and seamless software. One of the main objectives for this Engineer will be to develop software that is aesthetically pleasing, easy to navigate and “just makes sense” in order to maximize adoption of the automation platforms across the business. This individual will lead a team of senior automation and application developers while working in concert with application and infrastructure automation teams in project squads that are specifically aligned to create solutions for customers that meet their requirements and maximize solution adoption.
The ideal candidate for this role will have 5+ years of experience in software development focused on the end user experience but with a broad full stack development skillset. This candidate will have experience working in agile and devops methodologies and working with team members across the organization to achieve customer desired outcomes.
- Serve as the leader and mentor on a business automation development team, providing guidance, knowledge sharing and pair programming in leading a team of developers through a digital transformation effort for our SaaS cloud operations organization.
- Lead a team to develop user interfaces, applications and systems integrations that are first and foremost focused on the customer needs, elegant in their simplicity and rugged, yet don’t over extend themselves unnecessarily.
- Responsible for interacting with all facets of the business including infrastructure operations, application operations, service management, customer service and engineering teams to understand requirements and user stories and to translate those requirements into effective automation solutions that will create optimal an end user experience
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
- Experience working within DevOps teams is highly desired.
- Integrating a user interface and business automation platforms with various automation and orchestration systems and various other services via RESTful APIs, python based APIs and more, resulting in a seamless customer experience that looks and feels the same regardless of the background workflows and actions invoked.
- Integration with key business systems, reporting and big data analytics platforms including SQL databases, CRMs, and Splunk to provide a consolidated view and portal for automated self service operations & providing environment visibility and transparency
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences
- Continuously solicit/review user feedback on past efforts to refine and evolve experiences
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- 5+years’ experience in Software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design and problem solving
- Experience with front-end responsive UI design: HTML5; CSS preprocessors, Bootstrap , JQuery/ajax/angular Js Experience with at least 1 modern front-end framework
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries for use within applications and automation.
- Experience using REST APIs and performing systems integrations with new and existing platforms
- Demonstrated experience solving problems with innovative solutions.
- Strong accountability & ownership for activities and deliverables
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong technical troubleshooting skillset
- Experienced in working as part of a team for software development/automation purposes such as an agile team or squad.
- Experience creating functional design documents, technical design documents, interviewing end users to create user stories, and translating those into finished projects
- Experience working on an Automation platform (ansible, salt stack, vrealize automation & orchestration)
- Proficiency with following languages: PowerShell and Python
- Proficiency with XML, JSON and SOAP protocols including serialization and deserialization of related data
- General infrastructure background and understanding
Education, Training and Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably Computer Science or Engineering discipline.