Make a meaningful impact as a Backwaiter at The Modern!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
A Backwaiter must be able to excellently perform the skills and responsibilities of a Server Assistant, Barista, and Runner as this position is responsible for supporting their teammates in all capacities during service. As a runner, the backwaiter will run food and sauces to our tables, checking the floor and communicating with the expeditor and manager as necessary to ensure that all tables are ready before the food arrives at their table. As a server assistant, the backwaiter will own a station on the floor, and be responsible for table maintenance (including but not limited to water, bread & butter service, clearing, and crumbing) and resetting. As a barista, the backwaiter is responsible for the production and delivery of all coffee and tea beverages, as well as the baking of bread, and all associated side work with this position. Our backwaiters’ support is crucial to the smooth flow of service, allowing servers to spend more time with their guests.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Participation in annual bonus plan
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Understands the proper steps of service, and consistently executes them with efficiency and grace in the high-volume setting
- Ability to comprehend and communicate with teammates, management and guests in English
- Must be able to read and write in English
- Must be able to identify all food menu items and non-alcoholic menu items
- Ability to access water order and print checks in Micros
- Ability to memorize all table and position numbers
- Excels in a team environment and is viewed as a team player by all stakeholders
- Responsible for all information shared at line-up, including food, beverage, service changes, and all daily specials.
- Adheres to the dress code, appearance, and grooming standards specified in the service manual.
- Follows all standards, procedures and policies established by the restaurant and USHG
- Prioritizes of tasks focusing on guest needs first
- Maintains open communication with management
- Exhibits excellence reflex at all times