About the Role:
The Deployment Automation Engineer will provide development and support for production and lab SumTotal Systems Cloud automation platforms. The person in this role will be part of a team providing support in addition to proposing and working on innovative projects with the goal of eliminating manual processes and ensuring world class reliability of changes in the SumTotal Systems Cloud environment. As part of a team, this individual will partner with the software engineering teams, applications operations teams, infrastructure operations teams and others to ensure architectural changes and new automation platforms are focused on providing value to our customers and on improving efficiency in our operations. Candidates who include examples of past project successes in their application will receive priority consideration.
- Create automation and orchestration workflows with a focus on infrastructure specialization leveraging infrastructure, systems and virtualization background experience to inform intelligent and creative automation solutions.
- Responsible for interacting with the business to understand requirements and user stories and translating these requirements into effective automation solutions.
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and support of lab and production automation platforms.
- Incident/Problem management for cases reported by Engineering, Cloud Service Operations and Cloud Deployment teams.
- Optimize automation system reliability, security, performance, and operational efficiency.
- Develop enhancements to automation platform including work on existing roadmap and research and testing of new tools to further automate deployment and operations processes.
- Interface with infrastructure, applications and incident response teams to integrate solutions into the automation platform.
- Participate in release testing activities as well as the automation of those activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- 3+ years of experience hands-on coding and scripting in an infrastructure or DevOps automation related capacity.
- 5+ years Infrastructure experience working with two or more of the following technologies: windows, linux, virtualization, compute, storage and/or networking background prior to working in automation.
- Experience working with at least one automation & orchestration system including vrealize orchestrator, ansible, saltstack, chef, or puppet
- Demonstrated understanding of SQL and writing SQL queries
- VMware vsphere experience including the management, provisioning and deprovisioning of VMs
- Windows experience including active directory, DNS, DFS, SMB and general windows administration
- Linux command line experience - can navigate folders, edit files, troubleshoot issues, and write basic scripts.
- Foundations in networking including IP management, vlans, network data flows and systems communication
- Experience using REST APIs
- Demonstrated experience solving problems with innovative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong technical troubleshooting skillset
- Experienced in working as part of a team for software development/automation purposes such as an agile team or squad.
- VRA & VRO system administration and development experience
- 2 years of experience working on an Automation platform (ansible/salt stack)
- Advanced network experience - load balancers (citrix netscalers) and firewalls (Fortinet, cisco, or similar)
- CDN experience
- Experience using enterprise storage NASs or SANs
- Strong IIS Experience
- Advanced Knowledge of Windows Server.
- Advanced Linux Proficiency
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Clustering, DNS, Active Directory and Group policy
- Basic understanding of Firewalls, Load Balancers, Switches, Network Design.
- Experience creating functional design documents, technical design documents, interviewing end users to create user stories, and translating those into finished projects
Education, Training and Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably Computer Science or Engineering discipline.
- MCSE & VMware certification are a plus. Linux certification will be an added advantage.