Be the first in making a meaningful impact as an Executive Sous Chef at Maialino Mare at the Thompson Hotel in DC!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Maialino Mare is a Roman-style trattoria with an emphasis on seafood pastas and whole-grilled fish—a coastal sister to the original Maialino restaurant opened in New York City in 2009. Sourced from its local family of farmers and fishers, Maialino Mare uses quality, seasonal ingredients throughout the menu, complemented by a robust Italian wine list and beautiful, rustic desserts. Maialino Mare is located on the ground floor of the Thompson Hotel Washington, D.C., and is accessible from street level, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. The restaurant offers private dining and seasonal outdoor seating.
The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for daily production and execution of our culinary operations. This role will support the Executive Chef to adapt and create inspired seasonally appropriate menus that are creative, evolving, and well balanced for the season, while maintaining accurate food and labor costs based on a forecast budget, ensuring best business practices. The Executive Sous Chef will also oversee the onsite hourly culinary employees to ensure they are executing the standards established by the Executive Chef. The Executive Sous Chef will be an integral member of the USHG leadership in Washington DC, this position must lead, inspire and embody our Family Values and our philosophy of Enlightened Hospitality in all interactions with our people, guests, vendors and the community.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Ensure the culinary excellence of the restaurant
- Guide the entire back of house in upholding the excellence and efficiency of the business operations
- Oversee the excellence of the back of house team
- Ensure that business is aligned to burnish the brand promise while achieving desired profitability
- Guarantee that the brand remains compelling and focused
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- 2-3 years Sous Chef experience
- Heightened Culinary Intuition
- Emotional Self Awareness under pressure
- Effective Time Management to execute administrative duties
- Passion for motivating, educating, and empowering the team
- Ability to thrive in the context of Italian, Northern California, and French culinary points of view