Make a meaningful impact as a Barista at MARTA!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, and Porchlight to name a few!
Marta, located at The Redbury New York hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park, is a lively Italian restaurant from Chef Lena Ciardullo. Inspired by the rustic tradition of Roman pizzerie, local haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas, Marta features an energetic open kitchen with two wood-burning ovens and an open-fire grill taking center stage. The kitchen creates fresh takes on classic pizza standbys as well as original inventions showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. The wine list hangs its hat on Champagne and a deep focus on Italian wine, along with exciting beer and a lively cocktail menu. Marta exudes warmth and communal energy and serves as a central gathering place for its community.
Marta is looking for a skilled, passionate and enthusiastic Barista on a full-time or part-time basis. The ideal candidate must be able to speak the language of coffee, while delivering genuine hospitality and excellent service. Experience working in the coffee/cafe industry is required. Individual must be dependable, thrive in a team environment and embody warm hospitality. The ability to multi-task and remain calm under pressure is necessary for success. Our Baristas need to relentlessly strive for an excellent, consistent product for our guests to enjoy. They must also uphold the highest standards of cleanliness and organization in accordance with DOH and Marta criteria.
Marta is a fast-paced, exciting environment with many opportunities to learn and grow. Professionals in this role will need to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of coffee/tea, along with food, beverage, ingredients and dish preparations on our menu. Successful candidates require excellent communication skills and a pleasant friendly attitude toward their colleagues and guests. Ideal applicants are professional with a sense of humor and a strong passion for hospitality.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- 1-2 years previous Barista experience, formal Barista training preferred
- Strong Coffee and Tea Knowledge
- Ability to prepare classic espresso beverages, latte art experience preferred
- Previous experience working with and maintaining professional grade coffee equipment
- Guest Interaction Skills
- Experience with POS systems
Candidates must have a flexible schedule. Marta is open for lunch and dinner service, 7 days a week.