The Cafes at MoMA are looking for a Sous Chef to join their re-opening team, as we prepare for the re-opening of MoMA in Fall, 2019!
The Sous Chef in The Cafes works closely with the Chef de Cuisine and fellow Sous Chefs, to maintain the highest quality and standards in the daily operations of all Café venues. This includes management of the Line Cooks, Prep Cooks and all hourly team members, ensuring that all pars are met in the prep kitchen and oversees execution of the menus in all venues. The Sous Chef for the Cafes at MoMA is in charge of leading our BOH hourly culinary team through the days production, ensuring all food prep needs are accurate, all recipes are made to specifications and done so in a timely measure, ensuring all HACCP and food safe methods are practiced. The Sous Chef will work closely with the Executive Chef of the Cafes at MoMA in recipe creation, menu changes and updates, protocols for ordering and storage and ensure that all kitchen spaces both in the Mezzanine Kitchen and in the Cafes at MoMA, are kept clean and up to standard as delegated by the New York City Department of Health.
Daily Tasks and Culinary Team Management
- Oversee production of all Café and Family Meal Prep
- Partner with the Purchasing Manager and Executive Chef to maintain ordering and par levels for the Cafes at MoMA and Art Food Family Meals
- Quality control of all cooking prep and production via recipe
- Direct link to receiving, ensuring team has the product needed for the daily prep and execution
- Direct link to purchasing, must ensure items ordered are meeting or exceeding our financial responsibilities
- Collaborates in training of cooks and monitoring their progress
- Maintain efficient Payroll by managing the tasks at hand for each member of the team and ensure that hours worked are being maintained.
- Assist the in scheduling of all Cafes at MoMA Culinary members
- Expedite in Cafes when needed
- Attend BEO meetings to help streamline Art Food Catering preparation.
- Maintain a clean production kitchen
- Maintain a clean and organized walk-in
- Consistently collaborate with the Executive Chef of the Cafes on menu changes, recipe development, and more efficient ways for menu execution.
- Oversee BOH supervisors
Ensure rigorous knowledge of and adherence to all applicable laws, policies and procedures
- Adhere to all USHG procedures as it pertains to personal appearance, attendance and conduct
- Complete all assigned administrative requirements accurately and on time
- Remain current and compliant with the correct HR practices and policies
- Ensure DOL/Health Department compliance as it pertains to the operation
- Hold employees accountable to all standards and practices, evaluating and/or following disciplinary procedure when necessary
Continuously build a high performance team
- In conjunction with Chef de Cuisine, hire and train according to USHG standards for hospitality and excellence.
- Facilitate the hiring process by partnering with the People Operations Manager in scheduling trails for candidates and ensuring proper paperwork is completed
- Facilitate the Onboarding and training process for all new employees
- Provide continuous training and leadership to develop and grow team
- Ensure that all applicable employees receive annual performance reviews
Relevant Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- At least 3 years BOH management experience in hospitality & fine dining, previous prep or line-cook experience required
- Excellent understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving & delegation
- Initiative & follow through
- Excellent verbal communication
- Understanding of Excel, Word, Outlook etc.
- Must be able to stand, reach with arms and hands, bend and stoop, kneel and crouch more than 75% of the time
- Must possess the ability to taste and differentiate between flavors and aromas; must be able to respond to visual and aural cues
- Must be able to verbally communicate with employees and guests at all times.
- Lifting requirements range from being able to lift between 10 and 50 lbs more that 50% of the time and 100+ lbs more than 25% of the time