Make an impact as a Sommelier at The Modern!
The Modern celebrates 3 stars NYT, 2 stars Michelin, and 2016 Wine Spectator Grand Award
The Modern is part of Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group. Ideal candidates will possess a passion and enthusiasm for hospitality, wine and food as well as experience in a fine dining setting.
The Head Sommelier will work closely with the Wine Director, Sommelier team, Front of the House teams to create superior wine experiences through hospitality and knowledge.
- Pre- and post- shift sidework, monthly inventory, participating in all steps of service as needed in the dining room during the shift, and assisting the wine director in all aspects of the wine program.
- Preferably 3-5 years previous experience at a restaurant with similar service, guest relations, wine program, and operational standards.
- Excellent knowledge of wines and wine service.
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of dining room service.
- General knowledge of food preparation methods and culinary terminology.
- Ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to assist with organizing the wine cellar, counting monthly inventory and staff wine training.
- Solid foundation of leadership skills
- Basic understanding of the operating systems used on a PC type computer.
About Union Square Hospitality Group:
Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) was founded by Danny Meyer in 1985 and includes some of New York City's most beloved restaurants including Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard, The Modern, Cafe 2 and Terrace Café, located at the Museum of Modern Art, Union Square Events, Maialino, Marta, Untitled and Porchlight.
USHG has earned an unprecedented twenty-eight James Beard Awards, including four awards for Outstanding Wine Program.
- Ability to Lift 40+ lbs.
- Basic Floor Service
- Cellar Organization
- Food & Wine Pairings
- Regional Expertise – France
- Regional Expertise – Italy
- Regional Expertise – Southern Hemisphere
- Regional Expertise – Spain / Portugal
- Regional Expertise – US
- Understanding of Viticulture & Winemaking
- Wine Knowledge
- Wine Ordering
- Wine Sales Proficiency
This is a great position for someone who is looking to transition into a buying position or has some previous experience with buying. An opportunity to learn more about the operations it takes to create, maintain, and run a wine program of 3,000 plus references. Develop, encourage, and assist in leading a team of 7 sommeliers.
As a valued member of our team, you will have access to the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Annual bonus incentive
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgement- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first