Senior Database Administrator
Are you passionate about learning and intellectually curious? Do you thrive in a fast paced, innovative work environment where team members hold themselves and others accountable? Are you energized by trying new things, have an agile mindset and enjoy making an impact? Is working for a purpose driven organization important to you? If the answers to these questions are a resounding YES, then read on!
Skillsoft is the global leader in corporate learning. We help businesses solve their biggest challenge – attracting, motivating and retaining world class talent. Our team is recognized for cutting edge digital learning and human capital management solutions. Trusted by the world's leading organizations, including 65% of the Fortune 500, we train more professionals than any other company in the world. Our 100,000+ courses, videos and books are accessed over 130 million times every month, in 160 countries and 29 languages. At Skillsoft, we believe that knowledge is the fuel for innovation and innovation is the fuel for business growth.
We are all about “Making Work Matter.” With over 2000 employees around the world, we are always looking for amazing talent!
Will you be next to join our team?
- Installation and configuration of PostgreSQL and tools for DB management
- Backup and recovery of databases / systems
- Performance tuning and system optimization
- System and DBMS performance monitoring
- Creation of database related system and DBMS alerts
- Use of monitoring tools, collection of relevant performance stats and metrics
- Perform daily checks and maintenance activities in Linux, AWS EC2 instances /RDS environments
- Executing SQL statement and tuning
- Plan and perform software/ Version upgrades for Postgres and DB tools.
- Pilot new technologies both on Prem and in the cloud environment
- Interact with development relating to applications associated with the database environment
- Work closely with application teams to ensure business functionality and SLAs are met
- Help design and implement AWS, RDS and AuroraPostgres architectures and configurations
- Consult with Engineering for optimal design of database environments, analyzing complex queries, design concepts.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- The candidate will have at least five to seven years supporting database systems like SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with the back-end design and administration of computer-based training systems is preferred.
- Extensive history with the Linux and Database systems like PostgreSQL product line, patches, and related products is expected
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent understanding of RDBMS technology and experience with Postgres
- Knowledge of Shell scripting.
- Knowledge of enterprise database systems performance monitoring and administration tools
- Excellent Knowledge of SQL , PostgreSQL and AWS ( EC2, RDS etc) and RHEL Linux
- Application skills with ability to learn new technologies and applications quickly as new application skills are required for the position
- Experience working with SQL Server and ongoing industry certification in required DBMS software is a plus
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting windows/LinuxServers.
- Ability to manage a several large number of systems/ databases on Prem and / on AWS
- Working knowledge of modern software development practices and technologies such as agile methodologies and DevOps
- Detailed knowledge of advanced aspects of PostgreSQL including replication
- Experience working with large databases and large tables
- Ability to import, export, and manipulate data using 3rd party tools and prepare adhoc reports usingPSQL
- Excellent communication, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to create programmatic simulations and tests
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; and ability to perform under extreme pressure
- Professional manner with strong interpersonal skills; a team player and a relationship builder
- Self-directed work habits, applied with creativity, resourcefulness and a sense of personal responsibility
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Ability to think strategically and plan for innovation/change; flexibility/adaptability
- Must have a proactive approach to tasks and projects and think in contingencies
- Graphing and reporting preparation skills
- Able to clearly document processes as required
- Excellent listening skills
- Experience with Ansible and Terraform is an asset.
- Proactive with a strong sense of urgency and competitive drive.
- Independent, entrepreneurial mindset with ability to make independent decisions.
- Influential, and enthusiastic communicator.
- Adaptable, embraces change.
- Collaborative team player, working across various teams within the organization.
- Customer service minded.
- Strong attention to detail, organized and goal oriented.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about us.
If this opportunity intrigues you, we'd love for you to apply!
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: We value the partnerships we have built with our preferred vendors. Skillsoft does not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies. All resumes submitted by employment agencies directly to any Skillsoft employee or hiring manager in any form without a signed Skillsoft Employment Agency Agreement on file and search engagement for that position will be deemed unsolicited in nature. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is subsequently hired as a result of the referral or through other means.