Make a meaningful impact as the Wine Apprentice at Manhatta!
We’re looking for an intelligent, curious, confident, detail-oriented, organized and thoughtful individual who exemplifies USHG’s core Family Values of hospitality, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and integrity. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, non-stop environment, is adept at prioritizing tasks and loves solving problems. Works both independently as well as comfortable being an integral part of a larger team. A passion to better learn and understand beverage operations is at the heart of this position. This position works hand in hand with the Wine Director, Sommeliers on all aspects of beverage operations. The ability to be strategic, flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient is in your DNA. Superior written and verbal communication skills, sense of urgency, empathy, and attention to detail are crucial.
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave (yes! even as an hourly employee!)
- Money to spend in our restaurants and a 20% discount (and we’ve won 28 James Beard awards)
- Discounts toward gym memberships, spas, transit pass, and hotels – just to name a few…
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to more than 50 Learning and Development programs to support your growth & development
- Access to Mentor Programs and Career Development advice to help you navigate your career options with us
Responsible for all aspects of the Manhatta Wine Cellar
- Responsible for the daily receiving and stocking of all wines.
- By working with these wines on a daily basis, become familiar with all of the great wines and regions of the world
- Assist Sommelier team in all details of daily operation.
- Key team member for monthly inventory of all wines.
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized environment at all times.
- Maintain systems such as Binwise, Avero, Tripleseat, and others in the daily operations of the beverage department.
- Create and monitor pars for product and communicate orders in a clear, timely and organized fashion
- Work closely with the private dining sales department in order to ensure timely availability for all beverage alcohol
Internal & External Relationships
- Professionally represent Manhatta and USHG
- Develop relationships with members of the Manhatta family
- Foster positive relationships with all USHG restaurants in order to share best practice
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Initiative & follow-through
- Superior verbal & written communication
- Attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Familiar with Binwise, Tripleseat, Resy, Avero and other restaurant software