Be the first in making a meaningful impact as a Sommelier at Maialino Mare at the Thompson Hotel in DC!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Maialino Mare is a Roman-style trattoria with an emphasis on seafood pastas and whole-grilled fish—a coastal sister to the original Maialino restaurant opened in New York City in 2009. Sourced from its local family of farmers and fishers, Maialino Mare uses quality, seasonal ingredients throughout the menu, complemented by a robust Italian wine list and beautiful, rustic desserts. Maialino Mare is located on the ground floor of the Thompson Hotel Washington, D.C., and is accessible from street level, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. The restaurant offers private dining and seasonal outdoor seating.
The Sommelier will work closely with the Wine Director, Assistant Wine Director and Front of the House team in providing superior wine service to all guests. USHG has earned an unprecedented twenty-eight James Beard Awards, including four awards for Outstanding Wine Program.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Preferably 2-3 years previous experience at a restaurant with similar service, guest relations and operational standards
- Pre- and post-shift side work, wine cellar maintenance and monthly inventory, participating in all steps of service as needed in the dining room during the shift, and assisting the wine director and assistant wine director in all aspects of the wine program
- Excellent knowledge of wines and wine service
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of dining room service
- General knowledge of food preparation methods and culinary terminology
- Ability to work well on a team
- Ability to assist with organizing the wine cellar, counting monthly inventory and staff wine training
- Basic understanding of the operating systems used on a PC type computer
- Wine Sales Proficiency
- Understanding of Viticulture & Winemaking
- Cellar Organization