Be the first in making a meaningful impact as an Executive Sous Chef at Maialino Mare!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
We are looking for an Executive Sous Chef who can demonstrate mastery in leading, teaching, managing, and improving their team, including Sous Chefs and cooks during the opening of Maialino Mare and other outlets in the Thompson Hotel in D.C. The ideal candidate will establish that they can support the Executive Chef in establishing and maintaining a very high standard for our food, hospitality, image, and operational excellence. The Executive Sous Chef will be an integral member of the USHG leadership in Washington DC. This position must lead, inspire and embody our Family Values and our philosophy of Enlightened Hospitality in all interactions with our people, guests, vendors and the community.
Our vision for Maialino Mare requires people who can embrace and deliver on the flavors and comfort of Rome’s Mediterranean where we feature seafood pastas, whole roasted fish, suckling pig, and locally sourced ingredients in a warm and hospitable setting.
As a valued member of our team, you'll receive:
- Paid Time Off from day one to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Pre-tax Commuter benefit and discounted parking nearby
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Excellent growth and development opportunities including access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- 3-5 years Sous Chef experience or similar management experience
- Fine-dining cooking experience in high-volume restaurants
- Demonstrated passion for motivating, educating, and empowering teams for long-term results
- Ability to thrive in the context of Italian, Northern California, and French culinary points of view
- Heightened Culinary Intuition
- Emotional Self Awareness under pressure
- Experienced in effective Time Management while executing administrative duties
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Executing the Chef’s vision through Leadership and Training
- Ordering / Purchasing / Inventory / Financial Controls
- Interviewing / Hiring / Scheduling / Performance Management
- Maintaining Facility Cleanliness and Food Safety Standards
- Demonstrating and Instilling Product Knowledge and Appreciation
- Station Performance and Maintenance
- Technical Culinary Skills including with knives, cooking, and prep tools