Be the first in making a meaningful impact as the Wine Director at Maialino Mare at the Thompson Hotel in DC!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Maialino Mare Wine Director is responsible for all aspects and metrics of the Maialino Mare wine program. Quality, Sales, Cost of Goods, Accuracy of Inventory, Achieving budgeted sales goals, Cultural immersion and education. This position is a key leadership position that works closely with the Executive Chef and General Manager.
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As a valued member of our team, you will have access to the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Pre-tax commuter plan and discounted parking nearby
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Develop and direct a wine program that adds quality, value and enhances the guest experience
- Provide ample and continuous wine training, tasting and education to ensure staff wine knowledge is top notch
- Establish and maintain positive & productive working relationships with vendors
- Organize and complete the administrative set up and break down of service (including but not limited to: creation of floor plans, menus, employee check in, employee cash outs, bank close out etc.)
- Cultivate Regulars and continue to find ways to strengthen the restaurant community
- Ensure that the Beverage Inventory process is completed accurately, on time and according to business/accounting procedures
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first.
- Excellent food and beverage knowledge, specifically in wine and spirits
- Strong Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point)
- Strong Understanding of restaurant POS systems
- Problem solving & delegation
- Initiative & follow through
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Attention to detail
- Familiar with Binwise, Tripleseat, Open Table, Avero and other restaurant software preferred