JOB TITLE: Director of Culinary WORK GROUP: Velvet Taco, Inc.
REPORTS TO: Velvet Taco CEO & President LOCATION: Plano, TX
Velvet Taco has 20+ restaurants across multiple states, with plans to open 15+ per year over the next 5 years. We are looking for a Director of Culinary to lead our Tribe on a broad range of culinary initiatives.
The Director of Culinary, reporting directly to the CEO & President of Velvet Taco, is directly accountable for all aspects of culinary operations within Velvet Taco. Primary responsibilities include development of worldly tacos as well as culinary systems and processes to meet the company's short- and long-term growth. This leader must develop, drive, and manage the culinary process as Velvet Taco continues to grow and develop world class culinary and food safety standards throughout the entire organization. This position is a cornerstone for the brand and will have the ability to create guiding culinary principles for one of the hottest concepts in the industry.
This role will work with Senior Management and will be asked to participate in company-wide initiatives and leadership meetings beyond normal traditional duties.
• New Menu Development: Responsible for the on-going evolution of the menu and creative culinary development of the brand, including future menu items, and weekly taco features (WTF) from beginning to end by working in collaboration with the Purchasing, Training, Marketing and Operations Departments. In addition, manages outside relationships with contributing chefs in development of new Taco ideation to keep brand on trend and to maintain culinary leadership within the industry.
• New Menu Rollouts: Works with the Training and Marketing Departments to create world class training for menu rollouts, by checking new menu items and recipes and measuring the success of the rollout.
• Culinary Standards: Creates, implements, and ensures Culinary Standards (aka SOPs) are being followed in the areas of food safety, food storage, prep recipes, line procedures and all other culinary processes.
• Vendor Relations: Takes the lead with our Purchasing vendor (in collaboration with Operations) to select WTF ingredients, make sure NROs are set up, and ensure product is available and meets our standards. Monitors purchasing practices and communicates to the restaurants on best practices.
• VT Culinary Manager: Works in collaboration, develops and utilizes the VT Culinary Manager to support the operations in all initiatives and culinary systems.
• Regional Culinary Managers (RCM): Works in collaboration with the VT Culinary Manager, RCMs and Operations to standardize culinary tools (e.g., NRO small-wares, equipment, etc.), trouble shoot restaurants struggling with food cost, and make kitchen design changes when needed.
• Restaurant Visits: Measures recipe adherence (tastes, observes, course corrects with Teams, etc.) on EVERY visit to a restaurant (schedule or not) and coaches and teaches when necessary.
• 8-10 years experience in culinary operations, serving as a Culinary Director or Corporate Chef at some point. Multi-unit culinary operations experience is required for this position
• Proven leadership skills with a strong ability to assess talent and build effective teams and work with cross-functional leaders
• Hands on ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and effectively manage multiple complex projects concurrently within a fast-paced and growth environment.
• Ability to create effective project management plans, timelines, and organization processes.
• Strong business acumen with results orientation to drive key business performance metrics.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
The intellectual and physical demands described below are representative of what must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to recognize problems and solve them in a timely manner
• Organized and able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Flexibility and capability to deal with constant change
• Travel Requirements: 30%-‐40% (Expectation to be in restaurants 80% of time)
• Educational Requirements: Culinary or Undergraduate degree required / Advanced degree preferred
Dallas – Fort Worth – Austin – Houston – San Antonio – Chicago – Atlanta – Charlotte
Velvet Taco is an Equal Opportunity Employer