Day(s) Needed: Weekdays, Evenings or Weekends
Time(s) Needed: Preferably in 3-4 hour time blocks, flexible schedules based on volunteer availability
Because of the direct patient and family interaction, all of these positions require Patient Care and Family Support volunteers to go through specialized Patient Care Training. This process teaches you about hospice and terminal illness and helps prepare volunteers to interact with and support our patients and families.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Successful adjustment to personal losses and no personal loss within past 12 months.
- Successful completion of volunteer training program.
- Clearance from appropriate health screenings, background check, fingerprinting.
- Agree to mandatory policy statements.
- Minimum commitment of 1 year of service; at least 3-4 hours per week.
- Supportive of hospice concept, and willing to serve others in a volunteer capacity.
- Comfortable working with families with different cultural and religious values.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Current Licensure as a Massage Therapist by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation of the state of Illinois.
- Graduation from an accredited school of massage therapy.
- Proof of Liability Insurance.
- Certification by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork preferred.
- Previous volunteer experience preferred.
- Understanding of terminal illnesses such as various cancers, COPD, CHF, Dementia, Huntington’s, etc. preferred.