College Bound Dorchester is looking for highly motivated, resourceful and talented individuals to join our growing team. College Bound is a Boston-based nonprofit leader in gang-intervention, equipping gang-involved young people (Core Influencers) with the attitude, skills and experience to graduate from college and become positive leaders in their community. College Bound is a $5M organization poised to be a national model to use education to redirect the entrepreneurial, networking and leadership skills of gang-members from violence (and recidivism) to drive positive change that shifts social norms in our neighborhoods – empowering Core Influencers to become the solution to the chronic cycles of violence and poverty they have helped drive.
This is a hands-on leadership position responsible for performing key accounting and analysis functions and ensuring compliance with public grants. As our Director of Finance, you will work closely with Development to ensure that revenue targets are met and that key stakeholders including board, funders, auditors, and program partners have timely and reliable financial information. You will instill confidence in CBD’s accounting and financial processes, be responsive and adaptable to the organization’s reporting needs, and have the desire, discipline and drive for instituting accounting and financial operating best practices. As a key leader within the education support team, you will be viewed as a thought partner and will work in concert with other leaders to develop and engage staff across the organization.
Accounting & Finance
- Draft annual organization budget in coordination with the senior leadership team.
- Perform monthly and year-to-date revenue and expense variance analysis, and communicate drivers.
- Prepare key financial statements: Profit & Loss Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement.
- Prepare and monitor cash flow projections, and ensure that source information reflects up to date expectations.
- Prepare all balance sheet account reconciliations monthly, and ensure timely resolution of reconciling items.
- Review general ledger accounts for posting errors and omissions and make necessary adjustments.
- Review and transmit payroll on a bi-weekly schedule in conjunction with Staff Accountant.
- Execute benefits reconciliation between employee deductions and carrier invoices.
- Maintain daily cash balance and ensure that Bank Register Report is complete and accurate.
- Maintain bank covenants and track financial performance metrics.
- Review Raiser’s Edge (donor system) transactions against Financial Edge and collaborate with Development team to clear discrepancies.
- Develop and maintain financial policies that strengthen financial controls, improve expense management and create operating efficiencies.
- Own and maintain the month end close process, including recurring & nonstandard journal entries, allowance for doubtful accounts, Cash, AP, AR, PP&E, and Accruals.
- Serve as primary backup for the processing of payroll, accounts payable, and receipt depositing.
- Key liaison to auditors, responsible for coordinating requests, preparing supporting documentation, ensuring timely responses and communicating & remediating potential items.
- Prepare grant budgets in coordination with Development and Program.
- Monitor invoicing and compliance requirements for public grants, and maintain grant audit documentation.
- Direct and lead coordination meetings between Program and Development.
- Monitor grant revenue targets and revise budgets as needed.
- Setup and maintain grant level reporting in financial system.
- Attend funder meetings, and pursue opportunities to strengthen partnerships.
- Lead goal setting process with staff and support team development goals.
- Perform Quarterly Performance Conversations.
- Hold self and team accountable to organizational and program goals, reflecting critically upon leadership experience.
- Collaborate with colleagues and solicit feedback to continuously improve personal practice and to inform updating of professional development plans.
- As needed, represent the organization at community events, funder group meetings, and College Bound-sponsored events to strengthen existing partnerships and develop new ones.
- Model professional responsibilities and expectations for CBD staff; adhere to all protocols and norms for communication and professional conduct, eg Email and Phone Communication Protocol, Communication Norms).
- Fulfill all outlined and related functions in a professional, timely, and thorough manner
- Complete other duties related to this position as assigned.
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring the work. We are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven organization
- 5+ years of related work experience in nonprofit management or government
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or Business-related field
- Proficient knowledge of computerized accounting/payroll software, Blackbaud Accounting and ADP Payroll software strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of full accounting cycle and financial statements
- Experience monitoring and billing government contracts
- Proficient in Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) not-for-profit reporting and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990 and Form 990-T requirements
- Experience with Commonwealth of Massachusetts Uniform Financial Report (UFR) reporting requirements preferred.
- Ability to take initiative, manage multiple engagements and competing priorities
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships
- Ability to manage and develop staff
- Ability to work in a diverse community setting and as part of a team
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
College Bound Dorchester is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision plans, childcare discounts, generous paid time off and tuition scholarship opportunities. Successful candidates are mission-driven, entrepreneurial and solutions-oriented with a desire to work in an organization undergoing strategic change and growth.