Union Square Hospitality Group is seeking a Pastry Sous Chef to join the team at Union Square Events!
The Pastry Sous Chef is responsible for overseeing a team producing baked goods in a high-volume pastry production kitchen along with assisting the overall running of the kitchen, cleanliness, and organization. The Pastry Sous Chef, in partnership with the Executive Pastry Chef, will help foster team spirit and relationships within the team in order to create comradery and a strong, positive, and supportive working environment. This individual will also assist in menu and recipe development for Union Square Events. The Pastry Sous Chef is to cultivate relationships with purveyors and understand ordering of products and inventory procedures. This individual is expected to develop an understanding of food cost and labor cost, and how these costs reflect in the daily production of their Pastry Cooks.
Requirements and Skills:
- Minimum 3 years experience working in NYC restaurants
- Fine dining experience
- Large-scale production experience
- Viennoiserie and yeasted doughs
- Ice cream production
- Pastry production
- Comfort in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Understanding of professional baking, pastry, and knife handling skills
- Desire to learn multiple facets of the vast realm of baking and pastry arts
- Knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Good communication skills; ability to understand and follow written and verbal instruction and directions
- Strong attention to detail
- Enjoy working in a team atmosphere with the ability to be comfortable taking initiative when working alone
- Manage self calmly and effectively under pressure
- Word and Excel
Culinary school preferred
Union Square Events (USE) is the catering and venue hospitality business from Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG). Based in Manhattan's Hudson Yards, USE creates experiences to savor that are rooted in USHG's 30-year heritage of culinary excellence and Enlightened Hospitality. Through collaborations with a diverse portfolio of best in class clients and business partners, USE produces one-of-a-kind catered events and unparalleled dining experiences within a variety of cultural, corporate and entertainment venues throughout New York City.