Make a meaningful impact as a Sous Chef at Union Square Events!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Pastry Sous Chef is responsible for overseeing a team producing everything from Viennoiserie, ice cream, plated dessert to chocolate work and wedding cakes in a high-volume pastry production kitchen. This individual will assist in menu and recipe development for Union Square Events. This individual is expected to develop an understanding of ordering and inventory procedures, food cost and labor cost, and how these reflect in the daily production of their Pastry Cooks. The Pastry Sous Chef will assist to oversee the overall running of the kitchen, cleanliness and organization. The Pastry Sous Chef, in partnership with the Executive Pastry Sous Chef and Executive Pastry Chef, will help foster team spirit and relationships within the team in order to create comradery and a strong, positive, and supportive working environment.
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Minimum 3 years experience in large scale format baking, commissary, catering or hotel, preferred
- 1-2 years management experience preferred
- Good communication skills; ability to understand, follow and delegate written and verbal instruction
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective time management
- Passion for motivation, educating and empowering the team
- Emotional Awareness under pressure
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Experience with systems development and implementation
- Punctual and reliable attendance
- Knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Culinary school preferred
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
Union Square Events (USE) is the catering and venue hospitality business from Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG). Based in Manhattan's Hudson Yards, USE creates experiences to savor that are rooted in USHG's 30-year heritage of culinary excellence and Enlightened Hospitality. Through collaborations with a diverse portfolio of best in class clients and business partners, USE produces one-of-a-kind catered events and unparalleled dining experiences within a variety of cultural, corporate and entertainment venues throughout New York City.