Make a meaningful impact as a Lead Bread Baker at Manhatta!
The pastry department at Manhatta, overseen by Pastry Chef Emma Alden (previously at The NoMad, Betony, and Batard) and Executive Chef Jason Pfeifer (previously at Per Se, Noma, and Maialino), is looking for a head baker to assist in the development of an in-house bread program from the ground up. The cuisine at Manhatta aims to embody New York City by utilizing an abundance of local products and including subtle nods to the iconic and historic dishes of the city.
The ideal candidate has 2-4 years of professional baking experience in restaurants or establishments of a similar caliber. This is a terrific opportunity for an individual who is looking to gain experience in creating and running a bread department in a high volume, fine dining setting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Mixing, shaping, and baking dough—preparing individual rolls for dinner service as well as brioche loaves and other accompaniments for dishes in the dining room.
- Maintaining multiple pre-ferments for daily production.
- Assisting with ordering and maintain an inventory of all products needed for bread production.
You can expect to learn:
- Different mixing and shaping techniques.
- Naturally leavened doughs and enriched breads.
- Bakers percentages and mathematical abilities.
- Time management and organization skills.
- Team building and leadership skills.
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York's most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta, and Porchlight to name a few!
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave (yes! even as an hourly employee!)
- Dining Credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first