Make a meaningful impact as a Pastry Sous Chef at Maialino!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The Pastry Sous Chef is responsible for menu and recipe development of Maialino and the Gramercy Park Hotel. The individual will also be in charge of standardizing menu items and quantifying them for the pastry supervisor to then delegate to the line cooks. The Pastry Sous Chef is expected to develop an understanding of food cost and labor cost and how it reflects in the daily production of their Pastry Cooks. They are to cultivate relationships with purveyors and understand ordering of products and inventory procedures. The Pastry Sous Chef will also be responsible to foster team spirit and relationships between each other in order to create comradery and a strong, positive, and supportive working environment.
Our pastry kitchen is structured for learning and growth. All of the shifts offer different skills and challenges. This well rounded path pushes the team to learn a wide variety of techniques from laminating dough to making gelato. We uphold high standards of excellence and consistency. It is paramount that we always put the best of the best in front of our guests.
All of our products are made in house, using quality ingredients and sound pastry techniques. We like to say that dessert should be a “warm hug” at the end of your dining experience. That is what we strive to do, create the most delicious desserts that make you feel great. When you join the team at Maialino you are really becoming part of a new family. It is our top priority that everyone is happy, healthy and loves to come and do their job. The work isn’t easy or glorious. It can be hot and hectic, but the result is definitely sweet!
Check it out: maialinosweetstogo.com
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain a clean, neat and organized workstation
- Work well as part of a team
- Ensure that inventory is accurately done on a monthly basis
- Collaborate with Pastry Supervisor on placing daily orders with purveyors and Sous Chef Team
- Help to train new members of the pastry team
- Maintain a calm attitude when in a stressful, chaotic environment
- Ability to multitask
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than in expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first