Make a meaningful impact as a Host at Marta!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, and Porchlight to name a few!
Marta, located at The Redbury New York hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park, is a lively Italian restaurant from Chef Lena Ciardullo. Inspired by the rustic tradition of Roman pizzeria, local haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas, Marta features an energetic open kitchen with two wood-burning ovens and an open-fire grill taking center stage. The kitchen creates fresh takes on classic pizza standbys as well as original inventions showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. The wine list hangs its hat on Champagne and a deep focus on Italian wine, along with exciting beer and a lively cocktail menu. Marta exudes warmth and communal energy and serves as a central gathering place for its community.
Hosts are part of the front door team and a key part of making everyone in the restaurant feel welcome. The Host is the “Hello,” and “Goodbye,” of Marta, and have the ability make a guests visit special and memorable. They are agents to our guests and must provide unparalleled, warm hospitality. Our Hosts are also the direct connection to the dining room for the Maître D’. Clear, consistent and correct updates on the status of the dining room are necessary for a smooth service. A host must also maintain a calm and graceful demeanor throughout service and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Marta is a quick, exciting restaurant with many opportunities to learn and grow. Professionals in this role will need to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the floor plan, general food and beverage offerings, and operational information. Successful candidates require excellent communication skills and a pleasant, friendly attitude toward their colleagues and guests. Ideal applicants are professional with a sense of humor and a strong passion for hospitality.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
- Access to a generous Referral Program
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- A good understanding of wine, beer , classic cocktails, and creative cocktails
- A sense of urgency and strong work ethic to coordinate bar stocking needs with the cycles of service for guests at the bar.
- Strong communication and listening skills to develop trusting relationships with peers and guests
- The ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- A warm, compassionate, and team-focused approach
- Open availability
- 1 year experience in a front of house role in a hospitality business
- Previous experience with online reservation systems such as Resy