Bang the Table (now a part of Granicus) is a global leader in digital community and stakeholder engagement software. Our flagship product, EngagementHQ, is used by planners and government agencies around the world to give stakeholders and citizens opportunities for involvement in key decision making, while empowering engagement professionals with a unique suite of tools for capturing and analysing stakeholder input.
As an Engineering Lead at Bang the Table, you'll be joining an established product delivery team dedicated to empowering our clients based primarily in local government. We’re expanding our tech team in order to provide better and more efficient services to our customers as we enter into a new phase of product expansion and capability.
Bang the Table, and our tech team is growing fast but we want to retain the startup attributes that have made us successful. We want our leaders to remain hands-on productive developers, and our processes to be simple and effective. An Engineering Lead must help with continuous optimisation of our teams and processes as well as our technology stacks.
We recognise the need for specialisation and also believe in cross-functional Product teams: as an engineering lead you will be expected to not only provide clear leadership and direction regarding code quality, test automation, and solutions architecture, but also to be accountable for your team’s ability to deliver features and enhancements as accurately estimated increments.
As part of a genuinely agile team in a Lean product delivery environment, you’ll be responsible for guiding your team to solve problems, meet goals and KPIs rather than merely delivering to a specification.
As part of the technology leadership team, you will report to the Head of Engineering and lead one of the 4 engineering teams of ~6 members in having a deep understanding of our business, product and strategies. You will provide guidance in providing estimates and delivering features, whether that be high-level order of magnitude estimates for long and medium-term planning or accurate estimates for short-term planning.
This is a remote role. Bang the Table has a global staff footprint with offices in Melbourne, Australia and Boulder, Colorado and a core engineering team based in Bangalore, India. We are flexible around working hours but as part of the role you will be expected to plan your day to maximise collaboration time between continents.
We want to leverage your experience in leadership, software design, problem-solving and test automation strategy to help us continuously improve our delivery and collaboration processes. We have a range of technologies and our fair share of legacy combined with brand new initiatives. A healthy dose of pragmatism and a creative approach is required as we navigate our delivery strategy through a mixture of new and legacy products and services.
Our core technology stack is a Ruby on Rails API with a NextJS front-end providing server-rendered pages as well as a single page application client. Our entirely cloud-based stack is augmented with Node and Lambda services which reflect our intention to migrate away from a monolith toward smaller, more focused services developed as part of product-led, mobile first strategy. We are in the process of moving our infrastructure to be entirely configured in code using Terraform and Kubernetes.
What you'll do:
The Engineering Lead will help guide team members with the above responsibilities and has the additional responsibilities of:
· Helping your Engineers grow their skills and experience
· Providing order of magnitude estimates to inform the Product Roadmap
· Help with agile project management processes to help the team deliver
· Help to interview candidates for all aspects of team fit (technical and cultural)
· Give regular and clear feedback around team member’s performance
· Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
Who you are:
· You have extensive experience with different software systems; you can demonstrate experience designing, architecting and optimising solutions and have worked with and successfully modernised legacy systems before
· We are committed to continuous improvement; an open mind and a growth mindset enable iterative improvements across the team, our processes and our product
· Experience working as part of a product team; you have worked as part of a cross-functional team and recognise that pragmatism and adjustment are just as important as following a plan or working to spec’.
· You are a problem solver who is excited by a challenge. You know how to break a problem down and look at its component parts, but you can be creative and think out of the box as a way of solving that problem
· You understand iterative software development, what constitutes an MVP, and are passionate about the enablers for this: TDD and Continuous Integration.
· You enjoy flexibility in your work. Our growth and pace of change means there are constantly new things to work on every day, and as such it’s likely that you’ll regularly be working on new and exciting projects.
Nice to have:
· Prior experience of managing people
· Prior experience of providing technical leadership as part of a team
· Prior experience working with Ruby on Rails
· Prior experience working with legacy systems