Bang the Table ( now a part of Granicus) is a global leader in digital community and stakeholder engagement software. Our flagship product, EngagementHQ, is used by planners and government agencies around the world to give stakeholders and citizens opportunities for involvement in key decision making, while empowering engagement professionals with a unique suite of tools for capturing and analysing stakeholder input.
As a Senior Engineer at Bang the Table, you'll be joining an established product delivery team dedicated to empowering our clients based primarily in local government. We’re expanding our tech team in order to provide better and more efficient services to our customers as we enter into a new phase of product expansion and capability.
At Bang the Table we believe that engineers work best when working towards outcomes rather than simply specifications. As a Senior Engineer, you will be expected to think about the product, the user and the outcome and work directly with Product Owners and Engineering Leads to craft great solutions to problems.
We have a range of technologies and our fair share of legacy combined with brand new initiatives. A healthy dose of pragmatism and a creative approach is required as we navigate our delivery strategy through a mixture of new and legacy products and services. As a Senior Engineer you will know how to negotiate technical debt and will be able to design solutions and mentor more junior engineers to ensure that each PR leaves the codebase in a better position than it was before.
Working as part of a cross-functional Product Team, you will report to an Engineering Lead . You will assist your team in providing estimates and delivering features, whether that be high-level order of magnitude estimates for long and medium-term planning or accurate estimates for short-term planning.
Our core technology stack is a Ruby on Rails API with a NextJS front-end providing server-rendered pages as well as a single page application client. Our entirely cloud-based stack is augmented with Node and Lambda services which reflect our intention to migrate away from a monolith toward smaller, more focused services developed as part of product-led, mobile first strategy. We are in the process of moving our infrastructure to be entirely configured in code using Terraform and Kubernetes.
What you'll do:
· Understand our clients: their goals, needs and challenges
· Helping your team provide accurate estimations to inform backlog management and prioritisation
· Contribute to feature development
· Provide order of magnitude estimates to inform the Product Roadmap
· Help guide other team members with best practices for architecture and delivery
· Regularly conduct code reviews
· Contribute to a culture of Continuous Improvement through generating and implementing process improvements
· Improve product quality, security, and performance
Who you are:
· Experience with writing clean, maintainable and scalable code
· We are committed to continuous improvement and a culture of inclusiveness; an open mind and a growth mindset enable iterative improvements across the team, our processes and our product
· Experience working as part of a product team; you have worked as part of a cross-functional team and recognise that pragmatism and adjustment are just as important as following a plan or working to spec’.
· You are a problem solver who is excited by a challenge. You know how to break a problem down and look at its component parts, but you can be creative and think out of the box as a way of solving that problem
· You understand iterative software development and what constitutes an MVP
· You enjoy flexibility in your work. Our growth and pace of change means there are constantly new things to work on every day, and as such it’s likely that you’ll regularly be working on new and exciting projects.