OpenCities (Now part of Granicus) is one of the fastest growing global GovTech start-ups. Headquartered in Melbourne and San Francisco with remote workers primarily in Australia and the United States, and customers across Australia, New Zealand and North America. Our innovative technology is transforming how cities and governments better serve, engage and deliver online services to their community.
This position will be part of our evolving Consulting Practice, reporting to the Global Consulting Practice Lead in the US. The position is focused on working with the Customer Success team and with our customers to define their content strategy. We take a consultative, collaborative approach to help our clients maximize the value they get out of our platform and knowledge and develop strategic, human-centered experiences that inform, educate and compel people to take action.
The opportunities to make a difference while developing strategies for the public sector are limitless. Your role will require you to create new ideas, work directly with our government clients to flesh out these ideas, and help bring these ideas to reality.
Our strategists apply a human-centered approach to content strategy, using empathy, data and insights to design blueprints to nurture the connection between people and government. Our strategists analyze the current state of our clients’ customer experience and content, then map an idealized journey to meet our clients’ goals and inspire new approaches.
Our strategists execute discovery activities to understand our clients’ audiences and their overall goals. They conduct individual interviews, facilitate workshops, and review content or data to glean insights, then develop actionable plans for enhanced experiences, including personas, customer journeys, information architecture and more.
Strong candidates will have a proven track record of developing content strategies for clients, preferably for government or non-profits. Candidates will have experience facilitating discovery sessions, analyzing data to inform strategies, and working on large-scale or program-level projects for clients. Candidates must have a desire to be part of a data-driven, client-focused, fast-paced team that loves the mission of improving the citizen experience and providing world-class service to government clients.
What You'll Do:
- Work with clients to understand their content strategy and often coach them on the creation of a content strategy. This may include:
- Information Architecture: Assessing the data related to current site usage, search terms applied to site, 311 or other customer service desk data, etc to understand current usage of the site, what navigation and IA is working and what is not working. IA strategy, site map, site navigation, etc.
- Digital Services transition: Assisting the clients with the creation of Digital Services pages and OpenForms (assist with recreating content from PDFs to OpenForms).
- Guide and coach team members and stakeholders on content strategy and effective plain-language techniques for writing for the web
- Identify appropriate OC content types and model exemplar pages for websites and intranets
- Plan, write, and improve navigational labels, UX content, web page content, and training materials, according to content standards.
- Assist with creation of workflows based on the needs of stakeholders and department staff
- Develop and maintain appropriate voice for produced content
- Perform discovery and planning functions, including stakeholder and audience interviews, content audits and assessments, and overall current state analysis. Use data and empathy to discover insights, then translate those insights into actionable plans, including personas, customer journeys, navigation, and more.
- Offer expertise and recommendations to clients, and closely collaborate with internal team members and contractors.
- Act as a primary client feedback conduit to the Granicus Experience Group Director and maintain proactive approaches to executing client initiatives, anticipating client needs and keenly guiding decisions based on data and best practices.
- Continuously demonstrate a polished, professional relationship with colleagues and clients by being organized, prepared and proactive. Have an authentic and polished presence at all times.
- Occasionally represent the Granicus Experience Group in speaking roles, panel participation, webinars, workshops and client outreach, as well as attend and participate in industry conferences and workshops throughout the U.S. as needed.
- Research govt best practices for Content and UX, and incorporate those into your work
- Become an expert on Granicus products and future product development by keeping abreast of new and upcoming enhancements to our platform.
Skills & Requirements
Who You Are:
- 1-3 years of professional experience in delivery of content strategy, including but not limited to content inventories and audits, plain language writing, voice and tone guidelines, metadata and search strategies, content templates, and governance models
- Experience with local government clients, ideally with local government websites
- Experience with content management systems.
- Conversant in user experience (UX) design best practices
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web
- Solid written, verbal and presentation skills and workshop facilitation skills in a heavy client-facing capacity
- Experience digesting data and deriving insights that lead to actionable recommendations, then applying intuition and experience to complement data
- Understand and use digital tools, technologies and trends, then leverage those for client success, including research and discovery efforts
- Strategic thinker with the ability to exercise independence, autonomy, and sound judgment in making account recommendations and decisions. Skillfully enlist internal stakeholders to help navigate client relationships
- Ability to be flexible in a changing work environment and to work well under pressure
- Consistently perform against simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience and/or enthusiasm for working with government. Passionate about public service, citizen engagement and all things digital
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating strong personal initiative and on-time delivery of project tasks and deliverables
- Be hungry and passionate, have a collaborative spirit and be committed to making a difference with communications and collaboration
- Excellent communicator
- Empathetic: Ability to imagine navigating Council services and programs from the perspective of typical residents – and identify actionable content improvements.
- Analytical/systems-thinker. Ability to envision how content fits together, even how it crosses department lines.
- Relationship-builder: Ability to work with a variety of people and personalities, listen and ask questions, and cultivate relationships that promote collaboration.
- Curious: Ability to practice active listening, ask questions to get at the root of the problem, be open to receiving/giving constructive feedback, and have a sincere interest in learning new skills or growing old ones.
- Rigorous: Driven by thoughtful, quality, and detail-oriented processes, project output, and client/team interactions.
- Organized: Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, estimate timelines, rework a project approach based on unforeseen challenges, work well under pressure, and set/meet reasonable deadlines.
- Action-oriented: Ability to see opportunities, navigate barriers, be self-directed, and problem-solve solutions that enhance the Council’s deliverables, processes, and practices.
- Resilient: Ability to have a sense of humor, learn from mistakes, and/or return to work after experiencing a setback.
- Amplifier: Ability to amplify others’ strengths and successes and operate beyond ego and self-interest.
If you think you’re the right fit for our exciting and diverse team please apply via the link with your resume and cover letter.
No recruitment agencies please.