KanPak® is a global leader in the development and manufacturing of the very best beverage and dessert solutions. Aseptic technology is at the heart of many products we create, allowing all KanPak® products to ship and store without refrigeration for up to 12 months, but it’s our state-of-the-art beverage manufacturing capabilities and exceptional customer service that really set us apart from competitors.
We are seeking an energetic, skilled Food Scientist - Beverage / Dairy product development - for our facility in Arkansas City, Kansas.
Arkansas City is a city in Cowley County, Kansas, United States, situated at the confluence of the Arkansas and Walnut rivers in the southwestern part of the county. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 12,415.
Relocation may be available for this position.
Makes meaningful contributions to PD and company objectives by providing a highly developed level of technical competence and experience to lead people and support multiple projects with an emphasis on innovation, development of new products, product specifications, and procedures to support product development and testing, ensuring that products meet established GSF and external customer standards.
Coordinate GSF (Golden State Foods) Quality activities and operations to meet objective for quality, food safety, integrity, regulatory compliance, cost, safety and customer satisfaction at KanPak.
Participate in formulating and administering division’s short and long range goals and objectives for business growth
1. Independently provides bench and lab related work activities to support the development of new products, product line extensions, duplication, product and process improvements and cost improvements. (30%)
2. Provides leadership to others in the department and is seen as an expert throughout the company. Provides operational support. Leads training for new technologists, demonstrating lab safety, procedures and techniques. (30%)
3. Monitors and analyzes the scale up, first production and quality assurance practices of the developed product through the commercialization process and identify areas for improvement to facilitate department operations. (25%)
4. Identifies new sources and suppliers for raw materials in compliance with established quality assurance standards. (10%)
5. Maintains laboratory, including upkeep of equipment, stocking of supplies and general cleaning of work areas. (5%)
6. Capable of independently conducting and leading in-house and on site customer presentations.
7. Studies methods to improve quality of food such as flavor, color, texture, nutritional value and convenience in support of strategic objectives. Researches new ingredients or technologies that will create a competitive advantage.
8. Performs other related and assigned duties as necessary.
9. Up to 30% travel to US customer sites and sales meetings. International (Canada) travel is required.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, engineering, or related field of science from an accredited college or university
- 1 to 5 years of relevant work experience, with an understanding of food chemistry, food safety, and related regulations. Dairy foods experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Food testing concepts and techniques
• Product development
• Food processing equipment
• Raw materials/product interaction
• Food safety concepts and techniques
• Quality assurance concepts and techniques
• HACCP programs and related food safety regulations and processes
• International export and food regulations
• Food chemistry
• Food microbiology
• PC word processing/spreadsheet software
Skill and ability to:
• Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Apply working knowledge of mathematical concepts and scientific weights and measures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
• Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
• Teach others the importance of concepts revolving around food analysis, food chemistry and food microbiology.
• Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing
• Speak confidently and effectively before groups of customers or employees of GSF.
• Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
• Perform a variety of food safety tests including viscosity, pH, moisture and total solids analysis
• Work in a laboratory environment
• Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
• Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed
• Ability to lead through others, direct or indirect
• Develops and mentors others in the department
• Productivity/quality standards: test methodology, accuracy and reliability
• Productivity/quality standards: accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness
• Productivity/quality standards: new product development
• Domestic and international regulatory compliance
• Cost containment
• Teamwork within the department and across departments
• Project/assignment standards
• Customer satisfaction
• Safety standards and procedures: food
• Safety standards and procedures: laboratory equipment and procedures
KanPak, LLC encourages diversity in the workplace; we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran
KanPak, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, affirms to recruit, hire, train, and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, sex, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. KanPak will not discriminate against persons because of their disability, including disabled veterans, and will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees and applicants with disabilities.