At EAB, our mission is to make education smarter and our communities stronger. We work with more than 2,500 institutions to drive transformative change through data-driven insights and best-in-class capabilities. From kindergarten to college to career, EAB partners with leaders and practitioners to accelerate progress and drive results across five major areas: enrollment, student success, institutional strategy, data & analytics, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I). We work with each partner differently, tailoring our portfolio of research, technology, and marketing and enrollment solutions to meet the unique needs of every leadership team, as well as the students and employees they serve.
At EAB, we serve not only our partner institutions but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their communities. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
For more information, visit our Careers page.
The Role in Brief:
The Solutions Architect will wear several different hats within the Corporate IT Development landscape of EAB, primarily overseeing the technical architecture as well as overseeing the technical build of internally-developed applications and systems. The ideal candidate will be an energetic overachiever, with a team-focused, mission driven mentality, committed to solving challenging problems and doing whatever is necessary to get the job done. We have a fun and intellectually stimulating development culture and are looking for people who have a passion for implementing/maintaining internal as well as external facing roles
This position is open to remote work, or can be based in our Washington, DC or Richmond, VA offices
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable and tested code/configuration which support consistent information architecture, taxonomies, visual standards, interaction patterns, and use cases across multiple platforms
- Ensure high quality solutions by implementing unit tests and supporting the creation and design of integration, including load and user acceptance tests
- Document design and communicate progress to team members
- Document and communicate post-launch collateral to be used by sustaining teams for reference, which include but are not limited to workflow diagrams, process documents and frequently asked questions
- Support operations by identifying, researching and resolving performance and production issues
- Raise risks and communicate opportunities to management and stakeholders as they arise
- Collaborate with development team to enhance existing applications and develop new applications
- Provide mentoring and training to associate engineers and Application Support staff on tasks and small projects
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent years of experience
- 4+ years design/implementation/consulting experience with distributed applications
- 4+ years of experience working with relational or multi-dimensional databases, primarily SQL Server, PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Proficiency in object-oriented analysis, design, and programming. Experience with design patterns and tiered architecture
- Experience developing software in a commercial software product development environment
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Experience working within software development or Internet-related industries
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy customer solutions to the cloud
- Strong knowledge of code versioning/repository tools such as Git, AWS CodeCommit or Azure DevOps
- Commitment to valuing diversity, practicing inclusive behaviors, and contributing to an equitable working and continual learning environment in support of EAB’s DE&I Promise
If you’ve reached this section of the job description and are unsure of whether to apply, please do! At EAB, we welcome diversity of background and experience. We would encourage you to submit an application if this is a role you would be passionate about doing every day.
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; dependents and domestic partners eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days of PTO annually, in addition to paid firm holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Paid parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents
- Phase Back to Work program for employees returning from parental leave
- Infertility treatment coverage and adoption or surrogacy assistance
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and are committed to fostering a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.