At EAB, our mission is to make education smarter and our communities stronger. We work with more than 2,500 institutions to drive transformative change through data-driven insights and best-in-class capabilities. From kindergarten to college to career, EAB partners with leaders and practitioners to accelerate progress and drive results across five major areas: enrollment, student success, institutional strategy, data & analytics, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I). We work with each partner differently, tailoring our portfolio of research, technology, and marketing and enrollment solutions to meet the unique needs of every leadership team, as well as the students and employees they serve.
At EAB, we serve not only our partner institutions but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their communities. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
For more information, visit our Careers page.
The Role in Brief:
The Systems Engineer will wear several different hats within the Corporate IT Development landscape of EAB, primarily monitoring, maintaining and supporting internal systems and processes. The ideal candidate will be an energetic overachiever, with a team-focused, mission driven mentality, committed to solving challenging problems and doing whatever is necessary to get the job done. We have a fun and intellectually stimulating development culture and are looking for people who have a passion for implementing/maintaining internal as well as external facing roles
This position is open to remote work, or can be based in our Washington, DC or Richmond, VA offices.
- Serve as primary point of contact for as well as monitoring & maintaining internal as well as external-facing applications, platforms and systems. These include off-the-shelf platforms as well as custom-built applications
- Gather, manipulate, and analyze data using analytical tools
- Design and document repeatable processes within an architecture that promotes flexibility, scalability, and robustness
- Support operations by identifying, researching, and resolving system / data integration issues
- Raise risks and communicate opportunities to management and stakeholders as they arise
- Collaborate with development team to enhance existing applications and develop new applications integrations
- Provide mentoring and training to associate engineers and Application Support staff on tasks and small projects
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems or equivalent years of experience
- Experience with supporting distributed applications and/or data integration principles
- Proficiency in object-oriented analysis, design, and programming. Experience with design patterns and tiered architecture
- Experience developing and supporting software in a commercial software product development environment
- Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or management information systems
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Experience working within software development or Internet-related industries
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy customer solutions to the cloud
- Strong knowledge of code versioning/repository tools such as Git, AWS CodeCommit or Azure DevOps
- Highly motivated self-starter; a continuous learner with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Commitment to valuing diversity, practicing inclusive behaviors, and contributing to an equitable working and continual learning environment in support of EAB’s DE&I Promise
If you’ve reached this section of the job description and are unsure of whether to apply, please do! At EAB, we welcome diversity of background and experience. We would encourage you to submit an application if this is a role you would be passionate about doing every day.
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; dependents and domestic partners eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days of PTO annually, in addition to paid firm holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Paid parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents
- Phase Back to Work program for employees returning from parental leave
- Infertility treatment coverage and adoption or surrogacy assistance
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and are committed to fostering a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.