At EAB, our mission is to make education smarter and our communities stronger. We work with more than 2,500 institutions to drive transformative change through data-driven insights and best-in-class capabilities. From kindergarten to college to career, EAB partners with leaders and practitioners to accelerate progress and drive results across five major areas: enrollment, student success, institutional strategy, data & analytics, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I). We work with each partner differently, tailoring our portfolio of research, technology, and marketing and enrollment solutions to meet the unique needs of every leadership team, as well as the students and employees they serve.
At EAB, we serve not only our partner institutions but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their communities. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
For more information, visit our Careers page.
The Role in Brief:
Director, Commercial Learning and Development
As EAB continues to grow and drive toward innovation in its go-to market approach, there is increasing need to build a bench of leaders committed to developing our talented sales, account management, and partner success teams.
The Director, Commercial Learning and Development will primarily serve EAB’s sales force, while at times also expanding into partnership with the additional roles of the commercial team depending on business needs. This position will support new hires’ ability to generate more revenue at a faster pace, create infrastructures to drive ongoing skill development, and coach commercial staff toward effective commercial behaviors.
This role may be based in Washington, D.C.; Richmond, VA; any other EAB office location; or may be based remotely (to that end, remote applicants are welcomed).
Note: this opening is posted at both Director and Senior Director levels; candidates are being considered at both levels for the single opening.
New hire performance inflections:
- Manage our current onboarding infrastructure for sales staff: an onboarding plan outlining key components for the new hire using our best practice template, a communication plan (standard, thorough) with new hires and their managers throughout onboarding, updated course material in our training software, assessment moments throughout onboarding, and determined and tracked early performance metrics that indicate the success of a new hire
- Serve as the onboarding manager for new hires: manage onboarding infrastructure (manage pre-start communications; create and drive towards onboarding plan; build, update, setup and facilitate new hire training content) and coach to and conduct key sign-off moments in partnership with commercial managers (deliver expectations, host practice sessions, evaluate final sign-off moments)
- Provide coaching support after sign-off: hold regular check-ins with new hires, join new staff at partner meetings, conduct post-meeting coaching conversations, join closing conversations, and inflect key new hire metrics (e.g., new pipeline created per month, pipeline velocity/maturity, time from sign-off to first unit, and new sales)
- Drive and lead ongoing year-one support infrastructures: host weekly or bi-monthly training conversations for the new hire cohort across their first half, lead continued new hire trainings and contribute to additional training content and curriculum
Staff-wide training for knowledge and behavioral inflections:
- Accountable for content creation and facilitation of continuous learning needs:
- Conduct a bi-annual department needs analysis in partnership with commercial managers
- Develop a continuous learning strategic plan that addresses skill gaps for the team
- Create a learning agenda and content that advances the team’s knowledge and development, and drives key desired behaviors through adult learning techniques
- Partner with product experts to ensure that commercial talent has support on both commercial mechanics and product knowledge
General Commercial L&D Support:
- Responsible for commercial-wide ad-hoc projects such as general skills training, career development programming, sales kickoffs, etc.
- Create and facilitate commercial content when needed
- Assist in managing our learning systems such as sales training software and other learning tools
- Ability to step into one-off commercial learning and development special projects as business needs arise across any commercial division
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- 5+ years of previous experience in a direct selling or account management role
- Previous experience in a complex, high-growth environment
- Ability to motivate, coach and manage new talent
- Strong project management experience and/or aptitude
- Previous commercial management experience preferred
- Experience successfully managing an annual sales goal/quota of at least $1M in new booked business
- Proven track record of success in achieving revenue quotas and sales targets
- Willingness to travel ~15% for coaching of staff for partner on-sites, when public health conditions allow
- Valid driver’s license
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, with professionals at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build rapport and credibility
- Engaging and memorable presentation style
- Proven ability to use active listening to diagnose a problem and map creative and appropriate solutions in the moment
- Experience developing personal organization tactics to meet business goals
- Knowledge of higher education subject matter
- Commitment to valuing diversity, practicing inclusive behaviors, and contributing to an equitable working and continual learning environment in support of EAB’s DE&I Promise
If you’ve reached this section of the job description and are unsure of whether to apply, please do! At EAB, we welcome diversity of background and experience. We would encourage you to submit an application if this is a role you would be passionate about doing every day.
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; dependents and domestic partners eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days of PTO annually, in addition to paid firm holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- Phase Back to Work program for employees returning from parental leave
- Infertility treatment coverage and adoption or surrogacy assistance
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and are committed to fostering a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.