Born on the beaches of Mexico, Tacombi is a fast-growing, omni-channel consumer and retail brand that is committed to sharing Mexican food and culture through CPG products, hospitality experiences, community outreach and digital content across the globe. What initially started out as taqueria operating under the Tacombi brand name has evolved into an omni-channel business with CPG & DTC business that share Mexican food and culture through our Tacombi and Vista Hermosa products. Tacombi is building out its DTC and CPG team with a talented group of foodies, NPD leaders, marketers and innovators with an entrepreneurial spirit to join us!
Tacombi/Vista Hermosa is seeking a Food Scientist to help us tackle an ambitious strategic plan with a robust innovation pipeline. We are looking for a Food Scientist to launch Vista Hermosa and Tacombi into several new aisles, and drive innovation projects end-to-end to ensure that Tacombi and Vista Hermosa products authentically reflect the excellence and tradition of Mexican cuisine. The right candidate is an experienced Food Scientist, comfortable working in a start-up environment and touching all facets of a project, from packaging to operations.
What you’ll do
The Food Scientist role is responsible for executing Product Development initiatives to further enhance Tacombi’s/Vista Hermosa portfolio of Authentic Mexican Cuisine. And here’s how you’ll do it…
· Responsible for prototyping, formulation, pilot production and scale-up to plant implementation of innovation & renovation projects.
· Technical lead responsible for product development and product optimization, working in collaboration with project managers & the cross functional teams (following stage gate methodology).
· Provide technical support to manufacturing and quality for commissioning of innovation and renovation projects.
· Leverage R&D resources at manufacturing facilities to increase technical capabilities for product/process improvement initiatives.
· Develop ingredient and formulation trial plans.
· Familiar with schedule process development and filing schedule processes.
· Familiar with nutritional data software.
· Conduct trials, data collection and interpret results to drive program/project and technical knowledge forward, develop robust action plans, risk assessment and contingency planning.
· Possess strong product development skills in ingredient functionality, material selection and formulation to understand effects on finished product performance.
· Ensure compliance to internal and external policies, quality standards and legal requirements.
· Provides support in building technical expertise and maintaining a community of best practice to technical colleagues.
· Possess technical leadership to execute time sensitive programs, including new product line trials, alternate line qualifications and supplier/ingredient qualifications.
What you’ll bring to Tacombi
· Sense of urgency and can-do attitude
· A partnership and relationship-based approach in working with internal and external business
· A willingness to challenge our “way of work” to maximize our resources and enhance our success
· Strong analytical skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Familiarity with problem solving tools including root cause analysis, flowcharts, and fishbone diagrams
· A relationship builder, excited by the opportunity to partner with team members cross-functionally.
· Familiar with GMP’s and general food safety - i.e. HACCP. FSMA & current FDA regulations.
· A strategic thinker and approach business initiatives with an entrepreneurial spirit.
· Ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization.
· Excellent at planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multi-task and adapt.
· Able to influence, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives and bring teams to consensus / alignment.
· Able to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment and maintain a positive outlook.
· Able to demonstrate prudent judgment when making important decisions by utilizing knowledge of industry best practices and current trends.
· Able to maintain direction and focus by leveraging organizational abilities and proactive planning.
· A collaborator and can reach mutually agreeable outcomes and resolve potential conflicts.
· A BS or MS degree in Food Science or Chemical Engineering.
· At least 4 years of relevant concept to launch experience in a Corporate R&D setting.
· At least 6 years of relevant experience in formulation, start-up & continuous improvement projects.
· Ability to build strong trusted working relationships and rapport at all levels & demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
· Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
· Are familiar with the activities in Marketing, Market Research, Legal/Regulatory, QA and Manufacturing.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office; MS Project a plus.
· Ability to travel up to 35%.
WHAT WE OFFER
· Competitive compensation, including equity!
· Flexible Paid Time Off. Choose what works best for you
· Excellent health, dental & vision insurance, with options to fit you & your family’s needs
· A dynamic, ambitious, fun work environment
· Complimentary tacos from Tacombi anytime you like