This Plant Engineer leads Engineering projects from planning to implementation and manages the Maintenance team in plant operations, utilities and plant services to improve productivity, equipment reliability and preventative maintenance to increase capacity, availability, quality, safety, productivity, and costs. Coordinates and oversees design, construction, installation, and modification of facilities, equipment, and physical needs of a plant operation; designs/adapts special production machinery. Assists in establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, testing and inspection of equipment. Reviews regulatory processes, including PSM coordination and OSHA regulations for compliance. Collaborates and coordinates activities as necessary with Maintenance Manager and related positions, including boiler / refrigeration and building and grounds. Leader for the PM implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prioritizing, planning, developing, designing, and implementing projects to improve capacity.
- Closely follow technology and equipment developments and develop new and revised processes and production lines.
- Develop requirements and specifications for technical systems and equipment for documentation and procurement of new production systems.
- Support Continuous Improvement teams and other teams with technology and plant engineering expertise.
- Lead project teams to introduce new process technology or production improvements
- Lead and manage packaging changes in plant with direction from corporate marketing team
- Develop advanced analysis methods for evaluating PM and PdM systems.
- Communicate with all departments of the company to assure best acceptance and progress for plant engineering activities.
- Organize and prioritize plant related improvement projects originating from supply chain departments.
- This individual will be working in teams and as an individual contributor to improve availability, quality, safety, productivity, and reduce costs for existing production lines, facilities, and plants.
- Follow technology and equipment developments and develop new and revised processes and production lines.
- Develop requirements and specification for technical systems and equipment for documentation and procurement of new production systems.
- Participate on project teams to introduce new process technology or production improvements when assigned.
- Work closely with vendors to determine best technology/solution for capital projects
- Define and determine standards and acceptance methods for plant equipment
- Analyze maintenance procedures and spare parts replacement trends, and make recommendations on improvement for predictive and preventative methods. Communicate with all departments of the company to assure best acceptance and progress for plant engineering activities.
- Coordinate the development and update of SOP’s within the Plant Engineering Department.
- Management and coordination with all regulatory programs in the plant such as: PSM for ammonia refrigeration, boiler inspections, RMP, NDEQ, EPA, OSHA, etc.
- Implementation of a formal PM and work order system with tracking and individual mechanic KPIs and accountability related to execution.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in manufacturing environment
- Prefer Food Industry, and specifically Dairy Industry work experience
- Experience with Utilities management
- Experience with process controls and PLCs
- Knowledgeable of plant operations, production maintenance, and maintenance shop required.
- Must have understanding of specific OSHA and EPA standards as they relate to the plant environment.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Experience with SAP enterprise software preferred
- This position requires regular and prompt attendance during the working hours scheduled by the Direct Manager.
- Continuous Improvement experience a plus (LEAN, TPM)